Met Police officers accused of failing to protect stabbed teenager Katrina Makunova over domestic abuse claims

Two Metropolitan Police officers have been accused of failing to protect a teenage girl when she tried to report domestic abuse claims weeks before she was killed by her boyfriend.

Katrina Makunova, 17, was stabbed through the heart during a tussle with county lines drug dealer Oluwaseyi Dada as their two-year romance was about to end.

The trainee beautician was knocked to the ground by Dada, falling on to the knife in her Versace handbag which she herself had brought to the confrontation in Camberwell on July 12, 2018.

Miss Makunova had reported Dada – nicknamed ‘Capone’ – repeatedly to police in the weeks before her death, but no criminal charges were brought over the domestic abuse allegations.

Two officers, PC Kerry Lynham and PC Sophie Dennis, are now facing a public disciplinary hearing over allegations that they failed to respond adequately to a complaint on June 23, 2018.

It is claimed both officers “failed to acknowledge a member of the public was reporting criminal allegations of harassment and offences under the Public Order Act”, and did not take any action over the claims.

They are accused of not doing a risk assessment “relating to a vulnerable victim of domestic abuse”, as well as not completing a mandatory ‘Merlin’ safeguarding report as Miss Makunova was a child who had become known to police.

It is alleged the failings happened both at Lewisham Police station and when called out to an address in Forest Hill, southeast London.

PC Dennis is further accused of providing “false and misleading information” on a crime report, including wrongly suggesting Miss Makunova had refused to answer questions about domestic abuse and did not want to make a statement “where in fact she had not been asked to provide one”.

Dada met Miss Makunova through Instagram shortly after he was released from a 30-month prison sentence for county lines drug dealing, but their relationship had hit the rocks by February 2018.

Among the reports to police was an allegation of Dada “threatening her sister with a knife” and claims he had pinned down Miss Makunova on the bed with his knee on her neck.

At his sentencing hearing, Southwark crown court heard Dada was accused of threatening Miss Makunova at work, punching her friend in the face during a row, and he had previously tried to take back the Versace handbag which he had given her as a gift.

As the relationship failed, Dada was also said to have demanded the return of a gold chain, a pet dog, and Miss Makunova’s mobile phone which he said were gifts he had paid for.

He was sentenced in January last year to two years and three months in prison for manslaughter.

The court heard police had been called out six times in the space of five months as the relationship crumbled, while Dada had been accused of pushing his girlfriend into the road outside a police station in a row over the t-shirt she was wearing.

A pre-inquest review hearing earlier this month was told Miss Makunova warned police Dada may be “capable of murder”, and he sent her a text saying: “I’m going to f*** you up. I’m going to do you. You must think I’m joking.”

The teenager’s family believe proper police investigations could have saved her life, if officers had viewed text messages and undertaken risk assessments.

The pre-inquest hearing was also told that a total of 12 Met Police officers have been subjected to misconduct proceedings in the wake of Miss Makunova’s death.

The misconduct hearing for PCs Lynham and Dennis is due to take place on Tuesday and Wednesday next week.